Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Untouchable


Untouchable

When January rolled in with black ice and frost,
Your salt and pepper strands fell on white sheets.
Like hot tears on my pillow, I let them slip away
And the bitter winds blew down an empty street.

Now you lie in wait far, far across the universe
As I sink into murky depths and come undone.
You are untouchable like a distant diamond sky,
Untouchable, but burning brighter than the sun.

But somehow, somewhere, the thaw had begun.
I watched the mockingbirds flash their wings
As the sultry foxes sauntered in verdant fields,
Savoring the essence of a lavender spring.

Sometimes I think hear your distant whisper,
Train whistles echoing in the winter night.
Sometimes I see the glint of your smile
Sparkling in the brilliant morning sunlight.

Untouchable in this realm, forever in my heart,
I climbed down that rugged hill and let you go.
The snow shall fall, and we will meet once more
Somewhere, somehow…  I just know.

Colleen Keller Breuning © 2015
January 14, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment