Friday, October 9, 2015

Black Betsy







Black Betsy

I am obsessed.  Her hypnotic ebony eyes pull me under, taking me to a dark place deep inside my soul.  She is my greatest case study, she stokes my male ego.  Resistance to her charms proves more futile each day. 

“I’m sorry.  Not tonight, Betsy.”

Tomorrow is an early morning at the lab. With a sigh of resignation, I switch off the bedside lamp and roll over.

But sleep eludes me.  Studies, trials, deadlines, unrelenting pressure from the pharmaceutical company…  Thoughts tumble in my brain like an endless dryer cycle.  Development of this breakthrough painkiller through extracting toxins from poisonous spiders is an elephant on my back.  Success could mean fame and fortune for a lowly arachnologist like me.

 My mind clears as I drift off.

She appears before me in full glory, arms extended.  The bright moon glows behind her, bedroom curtains fluttering in the night breeze.  The chilling strains of Saint Saens fill the room. 

“Come to me, my love.  Embrace me, seal our destiny,” she whispers.

Beads of sweat break on my forehead.  I struggle to move away, but my limbs are dead weight.  Lips paralyzed, my voicebox emits a mere faint moan.

“No more experiments!  Now revenge is mine….”

The music swells in a climax.  She wraps her eight arms around me, fangs descending. 

The venom spreads through my bloodstream like wildfire.  So painfully sweet.  Muscles give way to beckoning warmth.  Choking, my lungs heave to take in gasps of breath. 

One last kiss…

Colleen Keller Breuning © 2015
October 8, 2015
Original Word Count:  246

Revised Word Count:  249

No comments:

Post a Comment