Thursday, September 11, 2014

Tears on Cobblestone









Tears on Cobblestone

The night descends slowly
in the mottled fog and mist.
Clouds bow to the angry horizon,
and a sense of dread persists.

Gray supersedes the rainbow,
rendered mute and colorblind.
When the cold rain finally falls,
dark thoughts seep from my mind.

I would have traded my own life
to spare your suffering and pain.
But reality rained down upon me,
and a martyr has nothing to gain.

I don’t want to show my face;
I have tried in earnest to hide.
We are all like the bright moon,
and we all have our darker side.

I am no angel, I am no innocent…
I am just a sinner black as night.
Wandering in endless purgatory;
left here alone, shivering in fright.

As the blood flows from cold veins,
my tears fall on the cobblestone.
My spirit releases to the wind,
And I am going home…

Colleen Keller Breuning © 2014
September 11, 2014

Written for:
Blogophilia Week 29.7 Topic: When Cold Rain Falls
(Hard, 2 points) Incorporate a Khalil Gibran quote or line
(Easy, 1 point) Include the phrase "color blind"


My Gibran quote:  “We are all like the bright moon, we all have our darker side.”

No comments:

Post a Comment